Today, I donated blood for the third(second?) time ever to a blood bank and to my surprise (well... not quite) I fainted. I watched myself fade away from consciousness for two minutes and fade back into it for two minutes. I saw stars on the way out and on the way back in. I don't know how long I was out. Can't be long. May be just a few seconds or just fractions. As I was coming back, there were three people around, one pulling my useless legs over a desk so that it is above my head. Another was asking me to open my mouth and I did(I still am not sure if that is what he wanted me to do). The third was fanning some air. Never did I relish some one fanning air at my face before this. Sipping a juice was never better. Before I fainted I was happy thinking that I was filling up my blood bag real fast...and I was giving all clear whenever I was asked. well... I was put in my place soon. Guess I should have had some extra breakfast and some more sleep. But hey, it got me my 15 minute spotlight. Volunteered for apheresis too. I am badly under weight BMI wise and my systolic bp was high -- among other things I am scared of the sphygmomanometer. No surprise it was high[I dislike phones that ring(?!) too].
Blood donation etc, saves lives. No question. But I could not help feeling odd about all of it. It felt so unnatural. But I guess I won't care if I am in need myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment